Saturday, November 5, 2011

Patacancha for the day

This week has been pretty low key. My trip to Patacancha, a weaving community about an hours drive away, was probably the highlight of the week.

This weekend the health program kicked off our first mobile clinic. About 8 of our staff members are currently riding horses between tiny communities in the Sacred Valley, delivering medical supplies and offering free doctor visits. I (thankfully) was only necessary for one day, where I helped feed the patients and dispensed fluoride treatments to the local schools and some of the visiting patients.

Unfortunately, due to the extremely high altitude (12,000 feet!) I wasn't feeling my best. The ride up and back down was probably the hardest thing I've had to do, as I had to convince myself that I wasn't going to vomit for about an hour. Even though we went by car, the "road" was extremely bumpy and felt like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.

Luckily, I survived. That night, I ended up in my bed at 6:30 PM watching movies before sleeping in until 11 AM the next day.

As a result, I've decided to have a relatively low key weekend lounging around in Ollanta. If I end up having any exciting adventures, you will be the first to know! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment