Friday, July 8, 2011

Now Reading: Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
I am so stereotypical.

I started reading this bad boy a couple of days ago and I have to say that I am loving it! Jonathan Safran Foer is known for his novels ("Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close") but this is his first non-fiction book. Now before you roll your eyes at me for being a pescetarian yoga hippie, hear me out. This book isn't just a bunch of PETA propaganda - it's a very thought-provoking analysis of why our society eats certain animals with no regret while sparing the lives of others.


I can't even imagine eating this little nugget with french fries!


I'm only like 40 pages into it, but I'm already starting to feel a little fish-guilt. He covers the fish and seafood industry more than most food industry writers, so I'm interested to learn more and see if he'll be able to convince me to end my love affair with sushi.


If you want to check out the book, you can read an excerpt on the listing on Amazon.com.


Questions:

Have you read this book or any other good books recently? Have you ever read a book that changed your life?
I also just read Jodie Picoult's "Sing You Home" and it was entertaining, but definitely not as good as the 2 other amazing books I've read by her ("Nineteen Minutes" and "My Sister's Keeper").


Random Fact #10: I have an unhealthy obsession with Joaquin Phoenix. Minus the whole scraggly beard and psychosis phase.



What's cookin' good lookin'?? (PS if you're not a Joaquin fan I apologize for the giant close-up of his beautiful face)

No comments:

Post a Comment