Thursday, July 7, 2011

PT Apps and the Peru Debacle

The Physical Therapy Centralized Application System (PTCAS) opened on Tuesday, so forgive me for the next 3 months of stress and grad school obsession. I finally found a forum where other PT wanna-bes can post their stats (GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc.) alongside the list of schools that accepted and rejected them, and I've been obsessing over it ever since. I'm a total education snob so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get in somewhere that my ego will let me attend.



"Obedience school? Only if it's listed in the US News rankings."


For the past few months I've been toying with the idea of going to Ollantaytambo, Peru to volunteer with Awamaki's health program. I'd be working with children with mobility issues, so it would definitely be physical therapy related. Sounds perfect, right? Unfortunately, it's not that black and white. Any of the experience I'd gain in Peru wouldn't be with a licensed physical therapist so it cannot be verified on my applications the way that my observation hours in the US can.


The perfect location to visit Machu Picchu and get altitude sickness.


After weighing the options, I've decided to bite the bullet and go anyways. There are still many kinks to work out such as buying my flight and securing my homestay placement (tiny little details, no biggie), so nothing is totally set in stone. I'll probably be leaving at the end of September, so its time to get my lazy butt in gear!! If anybody has any traveling tips, please share as they are greatly appreciated!


Random Fact #8: Not only do I talk to my dog, but I also serenade her and dance with her on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment